Monday, April 5, 2010

For such a time as this...

So I am currently involved in a Beth Moore Bible study, Esther, which has been of course exactly what I needed at this time.  The famous verse Esther 4:14b goes like this, "And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?" I have heard this many times before, but never could really apply it to my life...and it got me thinking! (uh oh)

Basically Esther was hesitant to obey Mordecai's instruction to plead with the king regarding their (the Jews) lives...and he says to Esther (via a messanger) in 4:13, "Do not imagine that you in the king's palace can escape any more than all the jews. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?" So basically she was going to suffer whether or not she stood up to the king and asked for him to spare the Jews. As I think about this...how many times in my situations do I try and get out of, to escape ebarrassment? Or to try and keep the peace? When I should be looking to set a good example for Christ and obey and fulfill His will for my life. Was Brady's death my "such a time as this?" Was I created for that moment/experience, and as it affects the rest of my life and actions. I can sit back and try to escape what happened to me and my family or I can step up and obey my Savior.
I think about, "what do I have to loose?" And the only thing I can think of that even makes sense is that I could loose my destiny of life (God's destiny) if I choose to hide/cower/disobey. I could loose the fulfillment of God's purpose, and regret that later in life...and believe me I don't want that to happen. I don't want to loose the gifts God has blessed me with all because I am worried about myself...that's not what life is about.

Esther was hesitant to listen to Mordecai's suggestion because she was afraid to die (going before the king without being called for could end in death). But if she didn't plead with the king she could die too, because she was a Jew (and there was a decree out to kill all the Jews). So in a way, "what did she have to loose?" She was fulfilling God's purpose for her life, and making the most of it. I hope and pray I get to do that with my life and don't let it pass by with regrets.

So I ask you all...what is your, "for such a time as this?"

I love this verse 2 Corinthians 10:5, "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."

Exodus 9:16, "But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

2 Timothy 2:13, "If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself."

2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."

Isaiah 41:10, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God."

Another side note, in light of celebrating Easter last Sunday...we are also learning about pivot points, or reversal or fortunes. In Esther the point of the story where everything pivots/reverses is in chapter 6. Also the pivot point for us as Christians, is when Jesus is resurrected! (Easter!) Its the point where things turn around, for the better! Another example in the Bible is when Saul, the persecuter becomes Paul the persecuted. I believe my point in time when my life changed was the death of Brady. I know this might be hard for some to understand how this could be a change for the good, but I have become closer with God and had to trust Him now more than ever, and He has proven faithful! It has changed my ways of thinking, my priorities and even how i spend my time and money. I am enjoying every moment of every day and trying to live my life to the fullest for Jesus. Have any of you experienced a pivotal point in your life? How have you responded? Did you turn towards God or away? I am praying that all of you are serving Christ more fully as a result, because it's totally rewarding!

2 comments:

  1. That was powerful, convicting. He has been faithful... To me, that's reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really true! I think the direction of my life and my growth in the Lord is defined by those pivotal points and encounters with Jesus. I can clearly see how three points one in summer 2007, on in January 2008 and one just recently in February 2010 have clearly transformed my life. They tend to come in the midst of a great struggle or difficult point in our lives!

    ReplyDelete