Monday, March 8, 2010

We will cling to Hope...

One of the most important things i learned following those couple of weeks, was that family is so important, and the trivial things of day to day life really don't matter, considering the large picture. It didn't even matter what I wore, what I ate, or if I even had make up on...(shocking i know), but I realized that the time I get with my kids is so precious and you never know when it will be over, so cherish EVERY minute.


Hope was the main message of Brady's memorial service. That was what we were clinging to, and we wanted others to know that, and also share with us in that hope.  In this crooked and perverse world we live in we cling to the hope we have in the Savior and creator of the world.

There were a lot of songs played that day...and I would say I'm a musical person and love music, so for me that is a way to express my emotions and feelings. If you haven't heard any of these songs I recommend looking them up online and listening.

Come to Jesus by Chris Rice
I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me
It Is Well- hymn

We had a slide show in the beginning of lots of pictures, of Brady's happy self. And the songs that played with it were: Homesick by Mercy Me, and With Hope by Steven Curtis Chapman.


We then had some of the teens, from the youth group, read some scripture (look them up-they are all great!):

2 Cor. 4:16-18
1 Thes. 4:16-18
John 16:33
1 Peter 4:13-14
Luke 18:15-17
Romans 5:1-5
Psalm 34: 17-19
Psalm 9:9-10
Psalm 71:5-6
Psalm 59:16-17.

Then we sang, Blessed Be the Name of the Lord, which is based on the verse Job 1:21b, "...The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Lucas and I are clinging to hope at the moment...and I would say that this hope is initially the hope of seeing Brady again in heaven because of the faith we have in Jesus Christ...and as I get farther away from the moment, I still have that desire to see him again, however now I HOPE that Christ is glorified through my life and how we respond to this trial. We are trying to understand the big picture, and how this fits into our life, and in the immediate moment its impossible, because of the pain. However the further we get out we start to see little glimpses of how this is a part of God's bigger and perfect plan (even though that seems weird to say). An illustration we have heard, which puts it very clear, is this: picture someone pressing their nose tighly up against the glass of a painting...they can only see the brush strokes of a little portion of the masterpiece...it doesn't look like much of anything...some would say it looks quite ugly, but as you back up slowly you begin to see the bigger, more beautiful picture it will become. That is how I am hoping our story will turn out, that up close and in the moment it's not too pretty, ugly at times, but as we back up a little and live a little more life, we will see how God's hand has been in it all and He has truely had the BEST plan for us. It reminds me a little of growing up...mom and dad always had rules and said "no" to certain things...and at the time I was upset or did not understand their reasoning, but now as a parent I realize how exactly right they were, and so glad they set boundaries. I would not be the person I am today had it not been for their teaching/correction in the Lord. I know that in the end I will say, "You're right Lord that's exactly what needed to happen...I see the picture so clearly now."

Job 13:15, "Though he slay me, yet I will hope in Him; I will surely defend my ways to his face."
Psalm 147:11, "The Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love."
Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."


The Littlest Angel: By Ferna Lary Mills

I’m only a small child, not much do I know.
God holds onto my hand as I look down below.
I’m here with the Father in the most beautiful place
yet I can’t feel much joy when I see your sad face.

Your heart has been broken, I can see from up here
as you struggle along and you wipe every tear.
If I only had words I could send you today
that would tell you I’m home and I’m really okay.

Heaven is beautiful with sparkles and white wings,
and the angels are teaching me so many things.
I’ll grow and mature in this Heavenly land
while holding on tightly to my Father’s soft hand.

Then one day you’ll join me in this home in the skies.
Our joy will be full with no more goodbye’s.
So don’t grieve for me now but find peace in your soul,
and know God has finally made your little one whole.

Now, even if you can’t seem to understand why,
please know in your heart that our love didn’t die.
He tells me that just for a time we must wait
and then I can meet you at Heaven’s front gate!













3 comments:

  1. it is so encouraging to read your words, Kate. i love the illustration of the painted picture...i hadn't heard that before...so true. so glad we have a Heavenly Father who we can trust...and so glad he gives us such eternal hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful encouraging words Kate! Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story, Kate. I'm typing on tear-wet keys. May God's beauty shine brighter and brighter as you reflect Him through the ashes. 2 Cor 4:11 "For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal bodies."

    ReplyDelete